I firmly believe that once you're a cheerleader, you're always a cheerleader. As any former cheerleader knows, you never lose your cheer spirit. Cheer is and always will be a part of you. Even on the worst days, you can turn things around with a smile and a good attitude.
20 SIGNS YOU WERE A CHEERLEADER
1. You have perfected your cheerleader smile. When you meet new people, you give them your best cheerleader smile. When you have your picture taken, you put on your best cheerleader smile. Are you happy? Are you mad? No one will ever know because of your winning smile.
2. When you see cheerleaders, you judge and critique everything. (hair, uniform, motions, stunts, music, routines) Let's be honest. You know you could do it better.
3. Every year, no matter how hard it gets, you attempt back flips, toe touches, splits, and/or kicks just to see if you can still do them. In case you were wondering, I still have an awesome high kick.
4. Thanks to old cheer injuries, your knees, wrists and ankles are starting to give out.
5. You have a closet full of old uniforms and cheer gear that you'll never get rid of.
6. You still own and wear Soffe shorts.
7. When you hear a song from an old routine, you immediately stop what you're doing. If anyone's around, you have to tell them about it. And if you remember the moves, you do them.
8. You emphatically believe cheerleading is a sport. There is no debating this matter. Seriously. None.
9. You know the difference between a clap and a clasp. It annoys you when other people don't understand the difference.
10. You don't count to 10. You count to 8. And if you need to countdown, it's 5-6-7-8 not 1-2-3-4.
11. You have an ear for great cheer music. "Oh, this Uptown Funk song would be great for a routine!" Really, it would.
12. You have a battle wound, scar or permanent injury thanks to cheerleading. I have scars on my knees from cheer practice. You can read about how I got the scars here.
13. Football and basketball games feel like home, but you'd rather be on the sidelines than in the stands.
14. When you're at a game and cheerleaders need crowd participation, you always cheer loudly and get mad when people around you don't.
15. Something will always remind you of the pain and agony of long practices. For me, it's bleachers. Step-ups were the worst!
16. You hope you have a daughter. If you do have a daughter, you hope she cheers. And if she cheers, you hope you can coach.
17. You love it when you find out one of your favorite celebrities was a cheerleader. JENNIFER LAWRENCE WAS A CHEERLEADER! JUST LIKE ME!!
18. When someone says "Ready?", you want to reply with "Ok!"
19. You're a leader by nature. When you see someone organizing a group activity wrong, you step in and show them how it's done. You also understand the importance of teamwork.
20. You've seen Bring It On 872 times and still cry every time the Compton Clovers win the championship. What? Just me?!